summer wrapped in a tortilla
This is my ultimate favorite summer lunch recipe, but the three people I’ve tried to feed it to either hated it or weren’t as enamored as I am. I should clarify: the person who hated it, hates all cold meat wraps and was unaware that’s what he was about to bite into so it wasn’t the recipe. Of course, the recipe feeds like four people, and I’m the only one in my house who likes them so I don’t eat them very much. When I do, its a treat.
This recipe takes me back to California. It’s probably the avocados. When I eat these chicken-avocado wraps with chipotle ranch dressing, I feel like I should be sitting on one of Southern California’s many boardwalks enjoying lunch with Ash. Instead I settled for my back patio and let Roskoe run around the backyard. It wasn’t too bad of a compromise. I had lots of bright red Cardinals fluttering about, my pup lolling in the shade and an incredible meal.
This recipe is one of those that lives for the perfect complimenting veggies, dressings and meat. I love it because you can use leftover chicken. I usually slow cook some chicken breasts for 4-5 hours and use all that chicken to make quiche, chicken noodle soup, chicken salad, and these amazing wraps. If you can’t handle the chipotle salsa’s smoky hotness (I sure can’t) by itself, do not be intimidated by this recipe. The ranch takes it down just enough notches to where it still has a kick but not enough to do any damage. Soaking the onion in water is an incredible trick I never knew about until this recipe. By doing this, you’ll mellow out the onion flavor so your significant other will still want to kiss you after.
Of course, now I’m left with an overflow of leftover avocado, tomato, onion, and lettuce. If these sound good to you, holla at me, and we’ll do lunch or dinner or an afternoon snack. Follow the link for more pictures and the recipe.
Chicken-Avocado Wrap with Chipotle Ranch Dressing from How to Boil Water (best cookbook ever! taught me how to cook)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 2 Tblsp chipotle salsa
- 1 orange
- 1/2 a roast or rotisserie chicken
- 1 rip Hass avocado
- 1 ripe medium tomatoes
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 handfuls prewashed lettuce leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro *I never use this because I never have it.
- Thinly slice the onion. Soak in a bowl of cold water
- Stir dressing and salsa together in a bowl. Finely grate zest of 1/4 of the orange and stir into dressing.
- Pull meat from the chicken in small chunks. Discard the skin. Halve, seed and slice the avocado. Slice tomato and sprinkle with salt and black pepper
- Using tongs, warm each tortilla by holding over an electric or gas burning. Lay tortillas on a cutting board and spread about 2 Tblsp of the dressing over each tortilla, leaving about a 1-inch border around the edge. Layer the chicken, avocado, lettuce, tomato and cilantro evenly over each tortilla, still leaving a border. Drain the onions, pat dry with a paper towel, and sprinkle over the wraps. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Take both sides of the tortilla and fold about and inch on either side over the filling. Keeping the sides folded, tightly roll up the tortilla from the bottom into a cylinder. Halve, using a serrated knife, if you have one and serve.
Filed under: -posted by char, foodie | 5 Comments
Tags: chicken-avocado wrap with chipotle ranch dressing, How to Boil Water, recipe